A 2-day Human Rights Refresher Seminar for PRO 8 personnel was held from January 31, 2017 to February 1, 2017 at Matapat Hall, Camp Kangleon, Palo, Leyte. The training activity was attended by 60 participants.
The seminar had the following objectives:
- Enhance the knowledge and increase awareness on the application of relevant national and international human rights laws, principles, and standards among Police Intervention Officers who deal with motorist, road users and persons deprived of liberty for them to avoid committing human rights violations; and
- Improve professional competencies and enhance level of cooperation between investigators and custodial officers.
Cited below were the highlights of the event, to wit;
- Day 1 of the HR Refresher Seminar was held on January 31, 2017 wherein PCI EMMANUEL SALVADOR ENRIQUEZ, C, EPS of this office presented a video clip regarding the history of Human Rights which was followed by an interactive discussion on Human Rights-based Policing, Human Rights Basic Concepts and Principles, and Gender Sexuality and Human Rights. PCINSP ENRIQUEZ also cascaded to the participants the PNP HRAO P.A.T.R.O.L. PLAN 2025 Roadmap geared towards the full institutionalization of the respect for Human Rights as a way of life in the PNP.
- At 11:00 AM, PCSUPT DENNIS A SIERVO, C, HRAO briefed the participants that this Office is presently conducting a simultaneous Human Rights Refresher Seminar, nationwide. He also showcased the innovations made by HRAO in the New PNP Miranda and Anti- Torture Warning Pocket Card which was translated and printed in ten (10) different Filipino dialects in cooperation with the “Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino”. He also manifested that the Miranda and Anti-torture Warnings were also translated in Four (4) foreign languages which can be accessed at the PNP HRAO official website.
- During the afternoon session, PSINSP YASMIN F VILCHES, C, WCPD lectured on Anti-Violence against Women and their Children (RA 9262), Anti-Child Abuse Law (RA 7610), and Anti-Photo and Video Voyeurism Act (RA 9995). On the other hand, PSINSP EDGAR OCTAVIANO, Deputy, Station Commander, Station 1, TCPO discussed the application of Human Rights in the conduct of Police Checkpoints, Civil Disturbance Management and Custodial Investigation and followed by film showing entitled “Sicario” and the participants were required to submit their reaction paper regarding the movie.
- On Day 2 of the seminar held on February 1, 2017, the participants were divided into 5 groups and underwent simulation exercise in the conduct of Police checkpoints and Custodial Investigation. The 5 groups were deployed at Palo, Leyte, San Jose and Tacloban City and were supervised by the undersigned. After the practical exercise, a critical evaluation was made in order to assess their performance and determine the operational procedures which were strictly carried out as well as the lapses that need to be corrected.
- In the afternoon session, PCINSP ANNA LUISA A CENTINO, Legal Officer of PNP Legal Service served as the resource speaker on arrest, unlawful arrest, arbitrary detention, expulsion, grave threat, violation of domicile, abuse of legally procured search warrant, searching domicile without witness, maltreatment of prisoner without prejudice to torture and physical injuries, serious physical injuries, less serious injuries, slight physical injuries, execution of deeds by means of intimidation in relation to grave coercion, rape, extra judicial killing, Administrative Order No. 35, R.A. 7438, RA 9745 and RA 8049. Thereafter, PCINSP ENRIQUEZ, discussed RA No. 8371 “Indigenous Peoples Rights act of 1997/IPRA Law”, Understanding Islamic Culture and Tradition (Sharia Law) and Effective Community Organizing.
During the closing ceremony, the participants undertook the commitment to implement and put into practice the things they have learned during the Refresher Seminar geared towards the objective of fully institutionalizing respect for human rights as a way of life in the PNP.